Summer Trips

Summer Trips

Hallie Williams, co-Editor-in-Chief

Spain: A group of 26 students along with three faculty chaperones left in early June for a ten-day adventure in Spain. While they explored larger cities such as Madrid and Barcelona, they also had the opportunity to encounter the culture within cities off the beaten path, such as Tarragona, Toledo, and Cuenca.
     Students said that one of the most rewarding experiences was the chance to practice Spanish in real world contexts. For example, all the tours of los ciudados and museos were given by native Spanish speakers, providing the opportunity for students to utilize their knowledge to understand and engage with the guides.
     The rising juniors and seniors enjoyed shopping at local stores, visiting museums, swimming at la playa, and cooking paella. The most memorable moment was staying up until five in the morning to watch the Blues win the Stanley cup with Sra. Cohen. The group also claimed they found the real-life version of Edna from The Incredibles!
     Kami Harris, (‘20) says, “I enjoyed getting to meet people, spend time with my friends, and travel outside of the country for the first time.”
—–
France: A group of 22 students along with 3 faculty chaperones left in early June for a two-week trip visiting Chartres, Lyon, Avignon, Paris, and a number of small neighboring cities.  Students believe that the highlight was the homestay that allowed them to really embrace French culture and improve their speaking skills.
     Activities ranged from scavenger hunts to guided tours, and the day usually ended with a few hours of free time to roam the city with a smaller group of friends. Ben Kazdan (‘20) said, “It’s very different learning French in a classroom in St. Louis as opposed to being fully immersed in the culture you are studying. By simply being there, a connection was formed, and we collectively found a way to embrace a different culture and country’s practices.”
—–
Grand Canyon: The annual Grand Canyon trip for rising freshman took place in three rounds for the final year this summer. The trip varied from years past as the 10-mile hike into Havasu Falls was not the main event. Students experienced Las Vegas, hiked in Zion National Park, visited Antelope Canyon, and floated on the Colorado River. Every day the activities varied, but overall the groups completed four hikes, went to natural rock slides, and camped outside for two nights. Students said that the highlights of the trip were cliff jumping and the coral pink sand dunes. Nadia Steinle (‘23) feels sad for underclassmen who will not get to experience the trip in the future because “I had so much fun on the trip with all my friends.”
—–
Greece: The Greece trip consisted of more than 40 people including alumni, current Burroughs students, and families. They spent two weeks traveling to cities in Greece as well as exploring islands in the Aegean Sea and Mediterranean area by cruise.
     Highlights included watching the sunset over the ocean at Mykonos and going to the National Archeology Museum in Athens. Adina Cazacu de Luca (‘23) said the best part was watching the Blues game at three am in Delphi. The group moved mainly by large tour bus, which was necessary considering the ground they covered, but they often had a few hours a day of free time.  This allowed travelers to walk the streets of Athens, spend an afternoon at the beach in Rhodes, or take a nap. The travelers also enjoyed Mediterranean food, noting that meals often took over 2 hours because of the endless supply of various traditional small plates and main courses.
     Every place the trip visited connected to events or concepts covered in Greek class. Oftentimes, Mr. Barnes would point out in class, “and this location, which SOME OF YOU will get to see on the Greece trip…” Cazacu found that “visits to ruins and museums helped deepen my understanding of classical art and society, and for that I’m extremely grateful.”