Get to Know Student Body President Candidates

Kendall Allen, Sports Editor

Scheduled to take place on April 14th and 15th, schoolwide elections are approaching quickly, and many students are speculating about the outcomes, specifically in the race for Student Body President, the highest position of student leadership possible at Burroughs. In order to educate voters about this year’s candidates, I interviewed each of them, all members of the class of 2021, about their campaigns. Below are their responses:

Commons Cafe 2019-277Josh Antony

1. What experiences/qualifications do you have (resumé accomplishments and/or personality traits) that you believe would help you be a great SBP?

I’m a fun guy. I’ll also try to do what the students want as opposed to the administration.

1. What is your campaign slogan?

Don’t have one yet.

1. What could cause you to “fail” as SBP? In other words, what do you fear most about the position and what could cause the biggest problems for you in this role?

I have no fears.

1. What originally made you want to run for this position? 

I wanted to bring something new to the position.

1. What is a specific example of a change or decision you would make in the Burroughs community as SBP?

Try to bring back MICDS day.

1. For the past couple years, there have been talks surrounding transparency in JBS student government as well as the administration. How would you approach this subject as SBP?  

I would push for transparency. I love transparency.

Commons Cafe 2019-107Anna Duncan

I have always been loud, stubborn, and determined it’s just who I am – I think that those are some great qualities of a leader.  I’m not scared to voice the opinions of students to the administration and I’m definitely not one to give up on a challenge.  I would sit down with any school administrator and help plan events or attempt to get the school to follow students’ wishes. Additionally, I am very organized and love planning events.  This side of me is perfect for planning field day and other school wide events.

1. What is your campaign slogan?

Don’t have one but “Burroughs runs on Duncan” (a play on the American runs on Dunkin slogan) or “A Year of Fun.”

To be totally honest, I don’t think you can really “fail” at this office as long as you are trying your best. I guess I’m scared of other people not having a good year.  My one goal for this year would be for everyone to just have fun and it would totally suck if I failed at that. With everything going on in the world right now, we need fun, we need energy, and lightness even in the small things.  Burroughs students work their a**es off and need a way to blow off steam. We need to bring new events to the table and make sure the events attract the new 7th graders up to our Seniors.

I love this school. I love the people here and I have so much school spirit and I want to share it with everyone. I want to bring people together for games, for events, and just in general. Being SBP would let me do that. We all know I love bringing people together- the whole school. I don’t do “exclusive” and that’s the attitude for the year – to bring people together all year round every weekend and every day, and as SBP I can do that.

How do we bring more fun?  We have new experiences, here is a quick sampling of some ideas – We could have Bubbles at lunch on Friday’s (small bubble bottles on tables). Have more Commons Cafes with all types of talent. Have a beach day with beach games in the quad. Have a short stand-up comic bit at lunch one day a week.  Bottom line is, as your SBP everyone involved in student government is going to be asked how to bring more fun and we are going to explore those ideas. 

Absolute and total transparency is the only answer.  Everyone knows I am not a quiet person. When I sit down with administration and fight if I need to fight, I will post a summary of my meetings on a blog.  I will create a forum for comments to be made by the student body. I will not allow administration to quiet me or have me step in line. It’s our school and it’s our years here, so we should have a say in and know what the hell goes on.

JV VBall Brentwood-68Eleanor Hohenberg:

I’ve been a class officer in our student congress twice, so I know how difficult the job of SBP is, and I know that I can handle it. I’ve helped organize the last two dance marathons, and I am already on top of the plans for our prom funds (Mr. Abbott and I have already communicated about rescheduling our prom or donating our funds to a charity). I’m also hardworking, and I’m legitimately interested and invested in making our next school year a great one.

1. What is your campaign slogan?

My campaign slogan is still in the works; I’m open to any suggestions.

I fear that my peers will want me to fight the administration for them instead of to cooperate with them, and that they will want empty promises of bringing back MICDS day instead of moving forward as a school. After spending 2 years in the student government I have seen firsthand that the student body president can get much more done through working with the administration; steadfast disagreement from the SBP when the administration has already made a decision only ever results in wasted time. I will fight for the voice of the student body to be heard, but I want to spend that effort on important issues.

I want to leave it even better than I found it for the next round of students.

When we make choices in student congress, I am not going to ask the class presidents for just their ideas; I’m going to ask them for their classmate’s ideas too. I am going to encourage more responsibility not only from the elected class officers but from the entire student body. There seems to be a widespread misunderstanding that it’s only up to student congress to organize our school-wide events, but this is not the case. It is very easy to get involved in the decisions we make in the conference room every Wednesday. I will not simply bring my own opinions into our meetings; I am going to be asking my peers for theirs and for what they want the student congress to do next. A concrete example of greater student involvement can come in simple suggestions such as theme days during spirit week.

As SBP one of my priorities will be to communicate exactly what is going on in our student congress meetings to the rest of the student body. It is actually very easy to know what goes on during our weekly meetings; they are open to any and all members of the JBS community who want to listen. But since few besides the elected officers will be at school at 7:30 every Wednesday, I plan to have myself and other class officers let the student body know of any important decisions or opportunities for input in assemblies throughout the year. Also, when there’s an issue where the student body and administration have different opinions, I will ensure that the administration offers an explanation for their choices to help the students understand and move on from the conflict.

Sam Ilivicky:

I have been involved in government before as the Junior Vice President, which has provided me with the experience of congress and overseeing a prom fundraiser. I see myself as a person of the people, as SBP I would represent not only the majority of the school but ALL of the school. I believe that I am a Team Player: I’m quite congenial and have the ability to work well with others with opposing views. I will be a pragmatic leader but one that acts with passionate urgency. I will bring an enthusiasm to the office of SBP that has never been seen before.

1. What is your campaign slogan?

Sam, I am.

What could cause failure for me as SBP would be one of three things: a congress who doesn’t share my same desire to create change in the Burroughs community, the fact that I am too trusting of people, or kryptonite.

The student body took me in with arms wide open my freshman year, polishing me like a fine gem. It would be my utmost honor to ensure that all students feel the love that this community has given me. This is where my substantial passion for the position is rooted.

I would focus my agenda on limiting our waste while maximizing our enjoyment of the school. This would include weighing the food waste produced by each table each month. The table from each lunch period with the lowest amount of food waste receiving an underdetermined yet legendary prize at the end of the month, while also receiving points for their class for the Class Cup. Oh, did I mention I plan on revamping the Class Cup [competition conducted in 2019] and the surrounding hype in all of its glory.

I would approach this subject by ensuring that Congress and the Administration are as transparent as possible, so that students really do feel like they have a voice in our student government. Some policies that could remedy the current tense situation are opening Congress meetings to respectful spectators and reporters of the school publications to witness first-hand what Congress’s actions are, as well as giving updates on what was accomplished during Congress meetings or meetings with the administration on social media platforms and in assembly each Wednesday. In case people still felt voiceless, my student email is [email protected].

Commons Cafe 2019-241Rohan Kumaran:

I think that being a successful student and invested member of many clubs has allowed me to meet all types of students and properly gauge the issues surrounding the JBS community. Middle schoolers, I hope that you can trust that I can make the 2020-2021 school year even better than your years here have already been.

1. What is your campaign slogan?

“Get Involved to Help us Solve”

Losing momentum- obviously, we all want to have more representation in student government and an amplified voice when addressing the administration. The only way this is possible is with a consistent commitment to two things: students and student government representatives working in tandem and addressing the administration as a cohesive student body. We may not always be up against an urgent issue, but if we practice a stable and active relationship between students, congress, and the administration, we will be ready to face any conflicts if and when they arise.

A good Student Body President has a very detailed, transparent plan of action. They should be prepared, accountable, personable, and committed to the JBS community. I want to represent the student body and make sure that students of all grades have the resources and advocacy to thrive whether they are interested in robotics, athletics, SMVC, affinity groups, Science Olympiad, musical performances, plays, dance shows, band and orchestra, writing for publications, or any of the other exceptional components of Burroughs culture.

As SBP, I want to make students more involved in what goes on at our school. I want to make congress meeting minutes mean more to the student body than an unnoticed stack of papers on a bulletin board by publicizing them through periodic assembly announcements to update the student body about what happens in congress. Essentially, my goal is to have a stronger relationship between students and the administration to solve problems as small as what to wear for Spirit Week or as big as ensuring every student’s right to voice their opinions. Additionally, I would like to better utilize the anonymous sound-off program: perhaps a way to express briefer messages, so that you won’t have to write out a whole speech just to be heard. Oh- and I also want to make sure that we have the ability to see our grades on Canvas.

To get more people involved in our community, we need to be more transparent and provide the students with a simple way to get involved. Publicized congress minutes are a good start, but I think we can do more, like scheduling dates to make occasional announcements in assembly, a good way to efficiently let everyone know what goes on in congress: everyone who is interested gets to listen, and it won’t waste too much time.

Ithan Levy:

Musical Chicago 2020-1134

I would make a great SBP because of my leadership skills I’ve developed over the years in the classroom, on stage, on the turf, and as the oldest of four boys. In class, I am involved in the discussion whenever I can and offer insight that pushes the class forward. On stage, I have excelled in communication and persuasion through public speaking and debate courses, as well as participation in the fall play and musical. On the field, I have been part of the lacrosse program since seventh grade. I’ve made my way up the ladder, helping those who are behind me and learning from those I aspire to be as good as. As the oldest of four boys, I have learned how to be a leader of a group with differ

ing opinions and do what is best for us as a whole. I listen to and value every student’s opinion. I can confidently say I’ve had a genuine conversation with every member of my class over the course of my time at Burroughs. While I have my closest friends, I am always inclusive and considerate of everyone, which makes me very approachable.

1. What is your campaign slogan?

Vote for Ithablo. 

My biggest fear as SBP is that fellow members of student government and students might not help me integrate my solutions to schoolwide issues. At the end of the day, I am the messenger between the student body and faculty, and I will need everyone’s full support for my message to be heard.

I chose to run for SBP because I think I would be as beneficial for the school as a SBP can be and because it sounded like a fun and challenging learning opportunity.

As the messenger of the student body, I would always be willing to represent members of the community. If asked, I would gladly help students with announcements in assembly and present issues in the community, regardless of personal stance, to student government and the administration.

As SBP, I would approach the subject of transparency between the student body and the administration by making major student opinions as straightforward as possible to the administration. One possible solution I have in mind would be polling the students with Google Forms when an issue arises and reporting the results of the poll at assembly. That way, the opinion of the student body would be perfectly clear. If the stance of student opinion was more factual and transparent, the administration would be incentivized to be more transparent with us.

Augie Nieberle:

I do not believe qualifications are paramount in importance for the role of student body president.  It is more important to have a unique mindset and beneficial ideas for the good of the school. That being said, as a former Congress member, I have the knowledge of how Congress runs and works.

1. What is your campaign slogan?

I do not have one and do not intend on having one.

Any failure of mine would stem from my ambition.  It could be possible for me to seek to radical a change or have to radical an idea.  In theory my drive for change could do the opposite. It could divide and stagnate our student body in the worst case.

I’ve always wanted to be the maker of change.  Specifically, I have always wanted to guide our student body in allowing each person to have some influence on their everyday school life.

The members of Congress are the first to receive the knowledge of any decision made by the administration.  Every congress meeting is required to record the events of each session. The records depict an accurate description of what the administration is saying and how the representatives of the student body are interpreting it.  However, these records are not easily accessible which I believe defeats the point of their existence. Under my administration I would make these records readily available to any and all students. With the students actively seeing the occurrences of congress.  The entire student body can be on the same page as the administration for all issues.

See previous answer.

Michael Turza:

I’m not one to flex my resumé, but I always have an acronym at the ready:

M: Meritorious

I:  Innovative

C: Composed

H: Hyperbolic Trigonometry

A: Approving

E: Electrifying

L: Pomegranate

1. What is your campaign slogan?

“You become what you believe.”  – Oprah Winfrey

Pete McKeown, it’s complicated

One time in 7th grade I heard Owen French sing for the first time. The words Owen sang didn’t literally tell me to do anything, but his voice seemed to instill a message that was beyond the words that he sang. In essence, Owen incited a drive in me that I hadn’t felt before; I found a goal from just his voice. From that point on, my campaign was in the hands of destiny, I’d have to say.

For starters, I will bring back MICDS day. I’m also planning on having the student body choose the games that are played on field day, and in general, having a larger role in planning all school-wide events.

I feel as though conflict generally stems from perceived inadequate responses from the administration, and that’s what I plan to resolve. The key is for students to reach out to members of Congress, who can then approach the administration with their issue, thus easing the logistical process. Anyone could always hit me up ([email protected]) or talk to me in person. From there, I’d make sure your issue was discussed with the administration, and then I’d reply back with exactly what was said.