Meet Your 2021-2022 Student Body President Candidates

Sara Cao and Ava Teasdale

With the end of the most abnormal school year fast approaching, three juniors are hoping to take on the responsibility of student body president in hopes of making next year as close to the JBS experience we all know. Boom Cummings, George LaVigne, and Andy Zhang, all from the Class of 2022, are hoping to represent each and every student in the JBS community in order to ensure that our voices are heard as an optimistic future hangs in the air. In each of their interviews, the SBP candidates voice their opinions on why you should vote for them, what changes they want to make, and what they love so much about the school. 

Boom Cummings

Q: Why should we vote for you? What traits, experiences, or qualifications make you a good candidate for SBP?  

I’m friendly, outgoing, a good listener, and I know how to have a good time. I will make next year an incredible experience for everyone.

Q: Why do you want to run? What inspired you to run?  

I want to run because my older brother ran and lost and if I win I will be able to hold it over his head. Just kidding. With all the craziness of this year I want to be the one to make sure next year makes up for everything we missed out on.

Q: What is your campaign slogan?

“Work hard, Play hard!”

Q: What specific changes would you want to make in the school? Activities you would like to plan? 

On a serious note, I would like to restructure the SBP position so that a pair of two students run as a team to represent the student body. I would also like to hold fun monthly events where kids from all grades can participate and have a good time. In addition, I want to make field day as great as possible while still keeping it safe. 

Q: Why do you love Burroughs? What is so special about this place and community? 

Burroughs has been my second home even before I went to school here. It is a place where I am allowed to be myself and I don’t have to worry about not being accepted. I want to make it a place where everyone can feel like I do because I don’t know what I would do without the Burroughs community in my life.

George LaVigne

I think I am qualified for SBP because I have helped run three clubs that have been very active this year despite COVID restrictions and the hybrid model (Business Club, Montgomery Plan, and Ping Pong Club). People should vote for me because I want to make the most of this coming year and I am prepared to work hard and listen to the student body to achieve that goal.

I want to run because I think we have all missed out on a lot of experiences and I am ready to work hard, listen, and communicate to regain that lost time and make next year as eventful and enjoyable as possible. I was inspired to run because I want to give back to the community and I feel obligated to help make our last year the best yet. 

Although this depends on the circumstances, I want to reconnect the entire community through participation and attendance at sports and shows. I would work with the class presidents to help organize and plan class events in order to help connect their classes. I also want to work closely with the faculty to ensure that they understand the student perspective and prevent an overload of work at the start/end of year.

I love Burroughs because you don’t have to pretend to be someone you’re not to feel accepted. The love for sports, academics, and arts make it a place where we all strive for success and help one another achieve it.

Andy Zhang

I want to bring out the very best in the school. As a junior class officer, I’ve been a part of the most recent Congress administration, so I have the best grasp of the more recent issues that Congress has to face. My most important trait as a leader is my initiative; nothing is going to happen with a leader that doesn’t have the ability or initiative to lead and organize events/activities, and I believe my past accomplishments have proven that I do have the ability. I’ve been complimented by Ms. Salrin and our class sponsors as being one of the best junior administrators they’ve overseen.

I find a lot of value in seeing people genuinely have fun and enjoy the things that I helped create. Watching everyone at the Dowdall v. Wagner match, seeing my friends laugh at seeing Gaurav on a stress ball, even when I planned for my friends to play Among Us with Dr. Dowdall. Literally everything I’ve worked on this year as a student leader, I’ve really loved doing.  

Q: What is your campaign slogan?

I don’t really have a slogan, but if I was gonna choose one I’d say ZhangGang, inspired by my classmate Evan Wang.

My overarching goal is to help bring the grades together, as well as help increase the general morale of the school, since it was really hard to get people excited about things this year. In terms of planning, there’s the big event in Dance Marathon (where I’d like to include a much longer period of dancing rather than just at the end), and I’d like to be able to host another Trivia or even Jeopardy event. I want all of these, plus more, to cumulate into the return of the Class Cup, which is REALLY good at helping the grades by providing the goal of beating the other classes. And while I would’ve liked to have done it this school year, I really want to bring Blue and Gold back in the best shape it’s ever been, especially since it will be my class’s last one.

I think my favorite part of Burroughs is how so many people know about each other across grades, across friend groups, etc. That’s why this year was especially hard, since so many people were unable to meet people they didn’t know, or couldn’t talk to many of the friends that they had before. The way the community worked together for clubs, for affinity groups, for fundraisers, for school activities, was something that we probably took for granted. Since I loved that part so much, I’m filled with the desire to help bring it back as SBP.