New Faces Around JBS

Carrie Zhang

Group photo of new teachers joining faculty.

Joining the History Department, Sara Jay will be teaching 8th grade social studies, World Civilizations I, and Literature and History. In addition, she will help the cheerleading squad. Although she grew up in New York, she is a Cardinals fan (but still likes the Yankees). Her favorite eatery in St. Louis is Barcelona. Her favorite book is “The Giving Tree” and her favorite movie is the original “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”  Joining the History Department, Sara Jay will be teaching 8th grade social studies, World Civilizations I, and Literature and History. In addition, she will help the cheerleading squad. Although she grew up in New York, she is a Cardinals fan (but still likes the Yankees). Her favorite eatery in St. Louis is Barcelona. Her favorite book is “The Giving Tree” and her favorite movie is the original “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”

Kevin Menos will be teaching Math 7, Precalculus, and Calculus, as well as helping with the Robotics team. Mr. Menos has previously held positions at East Central College in Union, Missouri and as a textbook reviewer for Pearson Publishing. For him, the Hill is the best place to get food in the Lou. His favorite teams are the Blues and the St. Louis Billikins Basketball team, as he was their team manager as a student.

Ashley Oates will be joining the Art Department this year. She has previously taught at the University of Alabama and in New Orleans, but her brief time here she has found Panorama (at the Art Museum) to be the best restaurant in the area. Her literary favorites include “The Unbearable Lightness of Being,” “The Handmaid’s Tale,” and “A Room of One’s Own.” Currently she roots for the Crimson Tide but is excited to see the Cardinals play at Busch Stadium. Ashley Oates will be joining the Art Department this year. She has previously taught at the University of Alabama and in New Orleans, but her brief time here she has found Panorama (at the Art Museum) to be the best restaurant in the area. Her literary favorites include “The Unbearable Lightness of Being,” “The Handmaid’s Tale,” and “A Room of One’s Own.” Currently she roots for the Crimson Tide but is excited to see the Cardinals play at Busch Stadium.

Coming from Whitfield School, Nicole Randall will be joining the Math Department to teach Geometry 9, Topics in Precalculus, and AP Calculus AB. At Whitfield, she served as an ISACS representative and mathletes coach. She has graduated from Pennsylvania State and San Francisco State Universities.

Johanna Nicholas will be joining as a college counseling assistant and coordinator of college testing. Previously, she was a professor of otolaryngology (a surgical subspecialty that deals with conditions of the ear, nose, and throat and related structures) and laboratory director for 25 years at Washington University in Saint Louis.

Laura Fogarty will join the College Counseling Department from Washington University in Saint Louis as associate director. Ms. Fogarty loves old Elvis Presley movies, animated films by Hayao Miyazaki, and all horror films. She also loves The Shack, Thc Corner Pub, and The Tavern.

Lastly, Jennifer Salrin will become the 11th and 12th grade principal. She graduated from St. Ambrose University and then completed a graduate degree at Indiana University.  Previously, she has taught English at Sewickley Academy in Pennsylvania and possessed duties in college counseling and admissions.  Ms. Salrin will, in addition to principal duties, teach a junior English course at Burroughs.

Carrie Chapman ‘98 will be a PE teacher in addition to her previous work with the field hockey, girls lacrosse, and boys basketball teams. Among her St. Louis favorites are Katie’s Pizza, the Cardinals and the Blues. Her favorite book is “The Nightingale” by Kristin Hannah. Coach Chapman looks forward to continuing to combine her passions of athletics and young people as well as extend beyond the three sports she has previously coached.

Corey Frazier will be taking the role of head coach for boys varsity basketball. With over 16 years of coaching high school basketball, he has had a record of 295-130. Coach Frazier played basketball at Saint Louis University and helped to lead the Billikens to two appearances in the NCAA tournament. He led Maplewood-Richmond Heights to back-to-back state championships in 2008 and 2009 and seven consecutive undefeated conference championships.

JBS will also welcome Clayton Bury ‘04 and Aaron Dowdell. Coach Bury will be a member of the PE staff while serving as head ice hockey coach. Mr. Dowdell will take over for Mr. Nicholas

Advice From New Teachers 

“Don’t make decisions from a place of fear.  Acknowledging the worst case scenario can take away its power and allow you to move forward.”“Don’t make decisions from a place of fear.  Acknowledging the worst case scenario can take away its power and allow you to move forward.”      -Laura Fogarty
“The effort you put into an assignment, task, goal, will determine how well you succeed and achieve.”    -Sara Jay
“Don’t be afraid to ask for help.  Everyone struggles at some point. Teachers appreciate when a student asks for help outside of class, and they will usually be happy to help.”       -Kevin Menos
“Take care of your friendships as they  will sustain you and bring   you joy through the years.”     -Ashley Oates

photos by CARRIE ZHANG