Teacher Sabbaticals

Tina Chen, Communications Coordinator

What is a sabbatical? Who goes on them? As it turns out, few Burroughs students seem to know. When asked about sabbaticals, most students shrug. “All I know is that I was sad when Mr. Nicholas was gone because I wanted him as a teacher,” an anonymous senior said.
     Burroughs has been offering teachers sabbaticals since 1987, which is rare for a high school. “It’s a good way to attract and keep teachers at John Burroughs,” headmaster Andy Abbott said in an interview. A few years ago, a semester-long option was added so that more teachers could go on sabbatical. Finally, the Bogliasco, a six-week long stay in northern Italy, is the third unofficial piece of the sabbatical program. Hosted by a Burroughs alumni, the Bogliasco is an opportunity to do independent work in the humanities within a community of other academics.
     To apply for a sabbatical, teachers must have worked at Burroughs for at least seven years and must stay at Burroughs for an additional two years afterwards. A proposal letter is also required. “The decisions are made based on seniority, what the teacher would do, and what it would do for their students at Burroughs,” Abbott, who makes all final decisions, explained.
     Teachers have pursued a wide range of interests. Theatre teacher John Pierson directed plays off Broadway and spent the rest of time writing a screenplay that he is now in the process of selling. Classics department chair Avery Springer, also on sabbatical last academic year, explored Rome and other parts of Europe. English teacher Eleanor Des Prez researched the ways in which her father mentored others during his career as a physician. This year, Director of Student Activities and photography teacher Andrew Newman will travel around the world to assist with Model United Nations. His first stop is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.
     “What teachers chose to do during sabbatical doesn’t have to relate to what they teach,” Director of Academics Christopher Front said. “It’s a chance to explore something really deeply and rekindle the joy of learning.”

It’s a chance to explore something really deeply and rekindle the joy of learning.

— Christopher Front

Pierson agrees: “The best way to maintain empathy with students is to have aspirational pursuits ourselves– to struggle with revising, for example,” he said. For teachers who often teach the same courses year after year, a chance to take a break and have time to delve into their own interests is invaluable. “I feel a renewed sense of vigor and excitement as I return to the classroom,” Springer wrote. According to her, “not only do I have many photos that I can share with my students, but the real physical sense of these places that I retain from my travels will permeate what I can offer to my students.”
     In addition to keeping teachers passionate about their academic pursuits, sabbaticals benefit the school by bringing in new information to the school community. Some teachers take courses during their sabbatical that they transform into classes at Burroughs. Others may choose to present their findings at assembly, like Des Prez did a few years ago. After chronicling her year-long investigation of her late father’s life, Des Prez wrapped up her talk on mentorship during morning assembly by reflecting, “But no matter what path you finally choose, with luck, each of you, each of us, will be strongly mentored at least one time and maybe more.”
      The effects of a sabbatical go a long way, even if a teacher does not give a talk or start a new course. “The firsthand experience truly deepens one’s understanding… I have ideas for our Italy trip, to tweak and add new interest to its itineraries,” Springer wrote. And sabbaticals give teachers not only new and detailed knowledge of their subjects, but also the ability to empathize with their students. For Pierson, the time he spent writing has helped him connect with students.  “It’s important for teachers to struggle with writing and revising– the things students face,” he said.
     To students, knowing that a teacher is also learning and pursuing knowledge makes a difference. “Maybe the path of discovery has taught [Pierson] something that he can pass on to us,” Ann Zhang (‘20) said. Dylan Fox (‘20) has similar hopes for his Latin class. “I’m excited to hear about Dr. Springer’s time in Rome and see what she applies from her sabbatical in the classroom,” Fox said.
     In many ways, sabbaticals can seem to have little effect on daily life in the Burroughs community. A substitute teacher is hired, classes are re-arranged, and different club sponsors take over. Burroughs’ sabbatical program, however, is integral in shaping the culture of the school. After all, passionate teachers can make a big impact on students. “To the student body as a whole, I think that the fact that a teacher is on sabbatical is pretty forgettable and we all get used to the new substitute teacher,” Rahul Jasti (‘21) said. “But I think that to that one teacher, it means a whole lot more.”