Football Standout Picks Irish

Football Standout Picks Irish

Xavier Silva, Reporter

Over the past year, four-star defensive end Tyson Ford, the biggest recruit to come out of Burroughs since Ezekiel Elliot, has racked up over twenty offers from the likes of Power 5 football universities including Georgia, Michigan, and Oklahoma. This past January, after narrowing down his college choices to four schools, he ultimately announced his verbal commitment to the University of Notre Dame. Ford claims what sets Notre Dame apart from the competition is, “Most definitely the high level of football being played, but also the top tier academics. This decision will set me up for a successful future.” Notre Dame certainly ended up with an excellent football player, as the 6’5”, 250lb Ford is a menace on the field. He’s earned All-State honors, an Under Armour All-American nod, and was ranked the fifth best defensive end in the class of 2022, according to Rivals.com. Aware of his potential to make an immediate impact on the field, Ford does not plan on redshirting his freshman year and will be competing for a starting spot.

Although it may seem like a future in football was always in the cards for Ford, you’d be surprised. Entering his freshman year, he didn’t even plan on playing the sport. Coach Miller, father of Division 1 athletes Brandon and DJ Miller, saw the great potential he had and convinced Ford and his family to give high school football a shot. Ford didn’t see too much action on the field his freshman year, but gained valuable experience that would help him to have a breakout sophomore season. In 2019, Ford amassed 52 total tackles, seven tackles for loss, and one sack over 11 games while helping to lead the team to its first winning season since 2015. Following that season, he picked up his first offer from Iowa State. Many more were soon to follow. In reflecting on receiving his first offer, Ford stated that, “I always loved football since I was a little kid, but getting that validation from a school and knowing that they were willing to take a chance on me finally motivated me to pursue what I love.” After that first offer, he took his training and preparation more seriously than ever before.

All of his hard work certainly showed itself in this past season, as Ford morphed into an even more dominant force on the field. He had 19 total tackles, two tackles for loss, and three sacks over five games, helping to lead the team to a second consecutive winning season. Next season, he aims to build off what he has already accomplished and lead the area in tackles for loss and sacks. He also hopes to secure a district title for Burroughs for the first time since 2015. As far as Ford’s plans after college go, he said, “Of course it would be a huge blessing to be playing in the NFL, but if that doesn’t work out, I’d like to begin a career in law or medicine”.With his commitment to Notre Dame, Ford has moved one step closer to achieving his NFL dreams, and joining the ranks of Ezekiel Elliot and Foye Oluokun as Burroughs alumni turned NFL stars.