Winter Sports Preview

David+Davila+looks+to+shoot.+

Andrew Newman

David Davila looks to shoot.

Ben Remis, Reporter

Boys Basketball: 

Jake Bain ‘18: “Last year was a rebuilding year, in which we lost in the first round of districts. We are poised and ready to have a great year this year under the leadership of a mostly senior-led team. We have a new coach [Corey Frazier] who brings a lot of experience both coaching, as he won a state championship at his last school, and as a player as he played professionally.”

David Davila ‘18: “We finished under 500 last year but realized the potential that we have this year. We lost to Priory in the district tournament.

“Our goal is to beat MICDS both times that we play them, go to the district championship and work together under the management of our new Coach Frazier. [We] hope to adjust to the new playing style, which emphasizes aggressive defense and fast break offense.”

Fun fact: Davila will be bringing back the rec specs, and the favorite play of last year was “Arm Chop” (often called “Charm Op”).

Girls Basketball: 

Alison Gill ‘18: “Every year, the goal of the girls’ basketball program is to put together a competitive on-court product and to enjoy that process. This upcoming season will focus a lot on improvement and, throughout this improvement, we want to win as many games as possible. It’s a fairly young team, and I think that if we use each game to gain experience, to improve and to connect as a team, we will be able to say that it’s a successful season.

We play in a competitive conference, and I believe that we can compete well in this conference and throughout our entire schedule. It should be fun to watch as more veteran players develop more chemistry and as we incorporate the newer players into the social and athletic dynamic.”

The girls’ basketball team finished 10-15 last year.

Fun fact: the team has as many post-season wins in the last three seasons as in the previous six seasons combined.

Ice Hockey:

Coach Clayton Bury: “Last year was not only a success in terms of our performance–the team reached the Wickenheiser Cup Quarterfinals for the first time since 2005–but also with respect to the growth of the program. We had very strong leadership in our senior class. Their efforts raised the standards for what it means to be part of the Burroughs Ice Hockey team; and that’s a huge win for this program.

“Now, it’s the current Senior class’ turn to carry the torch,
and continue the progress that last year’s class started. These
two classes are the pioneers of the hockey program’s ascent to the next level.

“This is probably the youngest team we’ve had since I joined the coaching staff nine years ago; we have five seniors, zero juniors, and the rest of the team is comprised of younger players that you typically don’t see compete at the varsity level.”

James Long ‘18: “Last season we had the best season of our entire JBS career. Everything seemed to click at the end of the regular season and into playoffs. It had always been a dream of mine to qualify for the Wickenhauser Cup.

“This season we’re looking to build off last season’s momentum and make it to the Wickenhauser Cup again. We have a promising freshman class and it is our responsibility to set an example they can follow and continue the Burroughs hockey tradition when we’re gone.”

Girls Swimming:

Wrestling:

Coach Dustin Green: “Last season’s dual meet record was 11-3. Four of our wrestlers qualified for, and competed at, the State Tournament in Columbia, MO. Two of those wrestlers are returning seniors–Lawrence Jones ‘18 and Sam Mulligan ‘18.

“Our goal is constant self improvement which, with some luck, will be reflected by a winning dual meet record and hopefully a large number of State qualifiers.

“As I touched on above, I think Sam and Lawrence are in a position to have a really great season. Sam and Lawrence are both natural leaders with a lot of charisma and competitive spirit, so I expect that to help create a very strong, positive dynamic in the training room that will significantly benefit the team.”